Over the past 12 months you have worked hard to reach those targets, to move the business forward and to bring-in those top clients and have really earned that Festive Party with your colleagues, and perhaps those top clients, but you are still busy with a few last minute meetings and you come to the party straight from a critical business meeting.
It may be the last thing on your mind but you may be bringing more to the party than you think.
Just for a moment pause and consider what you may be carrying with you.
I am sure that you will have your Smartphone, so what was the last email that you read, or the last document that you reviewed?
You may also have your Laptop, so what information does that hold, and what could it give access to?
Last but not least is your business case or bag, did that last client sign an agreement, does that contain personal and sensitive commercial information, have you just shown the client a draft or latest design for their 2019 release product or service or do you have a soft copy of your CRM?
In short you are a mobile data warehouse, offering a wide range of information from personal information, detailed commercial details to intellectual property both for your but also your clients businesses.
So do not put your business reputation and future revenues at risk, take a few steps now to prevent that information breach;
- Where possible do not take personal, sensitive or intellectual property information to festive events, store them safely in accordance with your company policy in the office;
- If it is unavoidable;
- Do ensure that all devices and systems are protected by STRONG, Complex passwords that have been recently changed,
- Where possible ensure devices are free from personal, sensitive and commercial information,
- If devices must contain personal and sensitive information ensure that this is password protected and ideally the encrypted,
- Ensure that the device, including MAC, are protected by up-to-date anti-virus and malware software,
- Ask ahead of the event if the venue have lockers available or a secure room with CCTV and door access code?
- Remind all staff, attending the event, of their individual responsibility for personal and sensitive information under GDPR but also to the company reputation and future revenues.
But most of all enjoy.
If you are unsure of how to approach this area or require a review of your information management processes and policies please do contact me at Andrewp@totalviewcs.co.uk, or call 01206 648995 and we will be more than happy to help by producing a plan and proposal to get you, and your staff, where you need to be.
Andrew, Director and Consultant TCS.